CHRIST AT THE CENTER: The Compass
1. OUR THEOLOGY: We preach Christ Crucified
1 Corinthians 15:1-4
1 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,
Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, and so, we preach Him and Him crucified. For it is through the paradox of the cross that we discover the way to God, the truth of who He is, and the life that only He can give. The Gospel is the center of Christianity and the cross is the center of the Gospel.
Gospel Story: Immersing people of all ages in the storyline of Scripture: God’s plan to rescue and redeem His creation through His Son, Jesus Christ.
2. OUR COMMUNITY: We live Together
46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
Discipleship occurs when we are intentional in living out the teachings of Jesus within community. We believe that the shallowness of much of what is called Christianity today, is due to the individualism that plagues our culture and, unfortunately, the church. We recognize and submit to the command of scripture to love one another and this cannot happen if our lives do not intersect.
Gospel Culture: Inspiring communities where the gospel saturates our experience, and doubters become believers who become declarers of the gospel.
3. OUR MISSION: We are committed to the town of North Fork
4 “Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: 5 Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce. 6 Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease. 7 But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.
This is the city to which we have been called. This is where we live. This is where we show others the love of Christ. We do not believe the Gospel can change North Fork unless those who believe in the gospel actually invest their lives in the city for the glory of Jesus. We believe in neighborhood revitalization through proclamation of the gospel and intentional living, knowing that where Jesus is lifted up many will be drawn to Him.
Gospel Mission: Empowering believers to live on mission, declaring the good news of the gospel in word and deed.
4. OUR PHILOSOPHY: We believe in simple church
42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.
Buildings, programs and methods do not define church. We are the church as we deepen our commitment and connection to Christ. Therefore, our growth as a church is the result of knowing Jesus through immersion in His word, prayer, communion and fellowship. Our emphasis is growth that results from people hearing and being changed by the gospel, not simply growth from attracting spectators or attendees.
Gospel Simplicity: This Gospel is centered in Christ, is the foundation for the life of the Church, and is our only hope for eternal life
WE BELIEVE . . .
- The Bible is verbally inspired of God and is the revelation of God to man and is the infallible, authoritative rule of faith and conduct. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- The one true God who has revealed Himself as the self-existent “I AM”, the Creator of heaven and earth and the Redeemer of mankind, and in the trinity, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Deuteronomy 6:4-5, Luke 3:21-22
- The Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ – The Lord Jesus is the eternal Son of God. John 8:58
- The Fall of Man – Man was created good but chose to sin and thereby was separated from God which is spiritual death. Romans 5:12
- The Salvation of Man – Man’s only hope of redemption is through the shed blood of Jesus Christ the Son of God. Salvation comes through Christ alone. 1 Peter 1:18-19
- The Ordinances of the Church – Water Baptism and Holy Communion. Matthew 28:19, 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
- The Baptism in the Holy Spirit – All believers should receive the gift of the Holy Spirit so they can have power to live their lives like Jesus. Acts 1:8, Acts 2:38-39
- Sanctification – An act of separation from that which is evil and of dedication to God. 1 Thessalonians 4:3-6
- The Church and Its Mission - To be an agency of God for evangelizing the world. Matthew 28:19
- The Ministry – God has divinely called people to be spiritual leaders in the church. Ephesians 4:11-13, 2 Corinthians 5:18-20
- Divine Healing – Divine healing is provided for in the Atonement. Isaiah 53:4-5
- The Blessed Hope – All who believe in Christ will be with Christ for all of eternity. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
- The Millennial Reign of Christ – Christ will reign on the earth for 1000 years following the rapture of the church and the visible return of Christ with His saints. Revelation 20:4-6
- The Final Judgment – There will be a final judgment. If your name isn’t in the Book of Life you will be assigned to everlasting punishment. Revelation 20:11-15
- The New Heavens and the New Earth Revelation 21:1-4